Adaptive Sports Resources
· Disabled Sports USA – has general information about a wide variety of adaptive sports and where to find them throughout the country
· Michigan Adaptive Sports – a chapter of Disabled Sports USA which introduces adaptive sports in a recreational setting for a wide range of people.
· Motor City Wheelz Wheelchair Basketball – this is an NWBA Junior Wheelchair Basketball team (prep and varsity) that practices in southeast Michigan and travels to various tournaments around the Midwest.
· Michigan Rollverines – this is an NWBA Junior Wheelchair Basketball team (Prep only)
· Mary FreeBed Junior Pacers Wheelchair Basketball – this is an NWBA Junior Wheelchair Basketball team (prep and varsity) that practices in western Michigan and travels to various tournaments around the Midwest.
· Mary Free Bed Adaptive Sports Programs – includes basketball, cheerleading, fencing, handcycling, lacrosse, quad rugby, sled hockey, softball and tennis
· UMAISE (University of Michigan Adaptive & Inclusive Sports Experience) – “UMAISE aims to enhance the physical, social and emotional development for people with disabilities by providing quality, local and low-cost sports and recreation opportunities throughout the lifespan.”
· Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan’s SportsAbility program (RIM) – “provides competitive and recreational sporting opportunities for persons with disabilities.”
o Through this website you can find out about the adult NWBA wheelchair basketball team called the Detroit Diehards. It appears that they will soon be undergoing a name change but that should also be updated through the RIM website.
· Canton Leisure Services – “Whether your child has a developmental or physical disability, they’re welcome to get active with the therapeutic recreation programs”
· Miracle League of Michigan – Adaptive baseball
· Sterling Heights Special Recreation – The Sterling Heights Parks & Rec department has adaptive recreation that is designed to serve children and adults that have physical and/or cognitive impairments.
· Special Olympics of Michigan
· Wheelchair Hockey League – adaptive wheelchair floor hockey
· Adult Sled Hockey:
o Michigan Sled dogs - http://www.misleddogs.com/
o Senior Sled Wings - http://www.rinkstolinks.org/about.html
o Michigan Warriors - https://www.facebook.com/MIWarriors/
· Youth Sled Hockey:
§ Yellow Jackets- http://www.mysledhockey.org/
§ Junior Sled Wings - http://www.rinkstolinks.org/about.html
· MSU Adaptive Sports Club - Boccia Ball, Wheelchair Slalom, Track, Field Events (discus throw, club throw, shot put, javelin, long jump), Hand Cycling, Table Tennis, and Wheelchair Tennis